The Yale Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) seeks a STEM Education Program Evaluator to join a vibrant, productive team in their mission to improve college-level STEM education. Reporting to the CTL Evaluation Director, the STEM Education Evaluator will be responsible for the comprehensive evaluation of a portfolio of externally funded STEM education programs. In consultation with CTL colleagues, the Program Evaluator will carry out evaluation and assessment initiatives to determine outcomes of a college STEM faculty development program (the Summer Institutes on Scientific Teaching) and a teaching postdoctoral program (Helmsley Scholars Program). This is a full-time term position through December 31, 2018, with the possibility of extension based on performance and available funding.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in a scientific discipline and three years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, design, and implement program evaluation and assessment initiatives using logic models and validated instruments. Computer literate with proficiency in SPSS, MS Excel, MS Access, and/or Qualtrics.
- Demonstrated skills in data collection and basic inferential statistical analysis of evaluation initiatives, preferably in college STEM.
- Familiarity with research and theory from cognitive, social, and/or educational psychology (or related education fields) informing the design of educational evaluation in college STEM including faculty development initiatives, institutional change initiatives, and/or long-term student outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to disseminate evaluation findings to target audiences. Evidence may include a record of scholarly publications and/or presentations, contributions to grant proposals, manuscripts, or other public scholarship.
- Ability to use and analyze existing curriculum evaluation datasets to advise and monitor future curriculum change.
1. Designs, plans, implements and evaluates complex multifaceted research projects/systems, including method development, adaptation and validation.
2. Collaborates with PI to define research endeavors and the development of research hypothesis and approach.
3. Solves complex methodology, protocol, procedural and research problems through design of techniques, procedures and policies that will achieve research goals.
4. Develops long range plans for supplies and equipment to ensure smooth operation of laboratory.
5. Investigates, analyzes and evaluates complex data, data collection systems and methods to reach scientific conclusions and ensures the integrity of research data.
6. Collaborates with PI to coordinate major lab renovations working with Facilities, Health and Safety, and Purchasing to ensure deadlines, safety standards and purchases are according to plans and within budgets.
7. Prepares scientific reports and papers for research proposals and published reports.
8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Partners with internal and external program leaders and key personnel to ensure a data-driven approach to program development and implementation. Evaluates Summer Institute programs based upon previous data analysis, monitors future curriculum change and contributes to convenings of a national network of committed STEM educators. Collaborates on the design and evaluation of the Yale Helmsley Scholars program, including assessment of off-site teaching at local institutions, and assessment of the impact of this outreach component. Collects quantitative data and analyzes education data sets and implements research designs and protocols. Conducts qualitative research such as focus groups and interviews, and summarizes themes. Reports progress and makes recommendations in written and oral formats to CTL leadership, university administration and funding organizations. Contributes to dissemination and publication of key findings to the wider STEM education community. Collaborates and consults with university STEM teaching faculty and post-docs on a broad range of issues in teaching, learning, cognition, program evaluation and assessment, as well as education research and scholarship. Participates in other program evaluation planning and implementation projects as needed.
Find out more
If this is enough to interest you, please search in Employment at Yale for Requisition Number: 44695BR.